UP Board Class 10 Model Paper 1 English
Time : 3 hrs 15 min
Maximum Marks : 70
Instruction First 15 minutes are allotted for the candidates to read the question paper.
- This question paper is divided into two sections A and B.
- All questions from the two sections are compulsory.
- Marks are indicated against each question.
- Read the questions very carefully before you start answering them.
Read the following passage and answer the questions given below it:
Now we have to see to it that we grow into such citizens that people will want the light of our character and our influence everywhere. We do not wish to have the sort of character that will make people want us to stay in one place and not to mix with others. If we are to be good citizens, who will be able to serve their country, we must be carrying light with us wherever we go and not darkness. Our influence on others must be for good and not for bad. Our lives must be such that wherever we go and wherever we live, other people will be the better for our having been with them. A good citizen is a center of light wherever he lives and whatever he is doing. The greater the number of good citizens in a country, the more enlightened will the country be as a whole.
- What type of citizens should we grow into? (2)
- What makes a country more enlightened? (2)
Answer one of the following questions in about 60 words: (4)
- How did the Yaksha reward Yudhishthira?
- What was the significance of the Ganga for Nehru and for India?
Answer two of the following questions in about 25 words each: (2+2=4)
- What great qualities of Socrates brought out in the lesson appeal to you most?
- Who is the creator of the universe? What has he created?
- Why did Yama take the form of the Yaksha?
Match the words of List A with their meanings in List B: (1 x 4=4)
|List A||List B|
Read the following lines of poetry and answer the questions given below.
Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way,
But to act, that each tomorrow Finds us farther than today.
- What is the purpose or aim of our life? (2)
- What is the meaning of “destined” in the second line? (2)
Give the central idea of one of the following poems: (3)
- The Village Song
- The Fountain
Write four lines from one of the poems given in your textbook. (Do not copy out the lines given in this question paper.)
Answer two of the following questions in about 25 words each: (2+2=4)
- Why did Edison decide to take up a job in the railways? How much did he earn on the first day?
- Why did the king of Ujjain want to sit on the judgement seat of Vikramaditya?
- Who were Jesse Owens and Luz Long? When did they meet for the first time?
Point out true and false statements in the following: (1 x 4=4)
- Edison was never satisfied till he got the right answer.
- Edison bought toys and sweets with the pocket money his father gave him.
- Olympic Games were held in America in 1936.
- The king of Ujjain sat and possessed the throne of Vikramaditya at last.
Select the most suitable alternative to complete the following statements: (1 x 4=4)
1. The teacher thought Edison was …………..
(A) stubborn and naughty
(B) a genius
(C) stupid and naughty
(D) very mischievous
2. Vikramaditya is famous for his ……………
(D) love for his subject
3. The laborers dug out a block of marble slab supported on the hands and wings of stone angels numbering …………
(A) a dozen
4. Luz Long was a real sportsman because ……………
(A) he was tall and well built
(B) he was a German
(C) his main objective in games was not conquering but fighting well
(D) he was a selfish player
Do as indicated against each of the following sentences:
- It passion can achieve one anything for if has one. (Frame a correct sentence by re-ordering the words) (2)
- The baby ate up all the cake. (Change into passive voice) (2)
- The teacher said to the students, “Did you listen to my words?” (Change into indirect speech) (2)
- He has to bring his umbrella. (Use correct form of the verb ‘forget’ to fill in the blanks) (2)
1. Choose the correct preposition from the ones given below the sentence to fill in the blank: (2)
When will Sameer leave Hong Kong? (from, to, for, by)
2. Complete the following sentence: (2)
I did not understand what
3. Complete the spellings of the following words:
4. Punctuate the following sentence using capital letters wherever necessary: (2)
from where can i get a taxi Suraj asked to Vivek
Translate the following into English: (4)
आजकल के बच्चे किताबों से पढ़ना पसन्द नहीं करते हैं। उन्हें संगणक पर पढ़ना अधिक पसन्द है। परन्तु किताबें हमारा अमूल्य खजाना हैं। किताबों से हम अच्छे लेखकों की अच्छी भाषा एवं विचार सीखते हैं। ये विचार हमारे जीवन में भी मददगार होते हैं।
Write an application to the Manager, Everest Hand loom
Company, Faridabad for the post of a salesman. You saw the advertisement in the Times of India of 8th June, 2015. They want a smart young man having fluency in English and Hindi both. (Do not write your name and roll no.) (4)
- (A) We should grow into such citizens that people will want the light of our character and influence everywhere.
(B) The greater number of good citizens makes a country more enlightened.
- (A) The Yaksha was very pleased with Yudhisthira’s satisfactory answers. His answers proved that he was a man of patience and kindness, and had the knowledge of life. Being impressed with his answers, the Yaksha offered him the revival of one of his brothers’ lives. Yudhishtira showed his love for justice by choosing Nakula. This impressed the Yaksha a lot and he rewarded him by reviving all his brothers.
Write a letter to your friend requesting him to come and spend the summer vacation with you. (Do not write your Name and Address.)
Write an essay on one of the following topics in about 60 words. Points are given below for each topic to develop the composition. (6)
1. My Grandmother
(B) Her Health and Education
(C) Her Dress and Habits
(D) Her Hobbies and Qualities
2. Your Favorite Festival
(B) Name of the Festival, Time of Celebration
(C) Legends Behind It
(D) How it is Celebrated
3. My Birthday Celebration
(C) Blessings, Photographs, Delicious Dinner Served, A Wonderful Experience.
(D) Various Programs held
Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it:
In many parts of the country, Harijans were treated very badly before Independence. Gandhiji gave a call to the nation to abolish Unsociability and improve the lot of the Harijans who form one seventh of our population. India cannot progress unless their condition is improved.
Special facilities like scholarships, free distribution of books and free ships in schools and hostels are now given to them. All these and many more achievements in the fields of health, medicine, social education, transport and industry have been made through our five year plans. All this has been achieved in spite of great natural calamities and unexpected events like the Chinese invasion and wars with Pakistan. A check on our population, more education, better sense of duty and honesty can make our country a land of milk and honey again.
- Which facilities are now given to the Harijans who were earlier deprived of them? (3)
- In which fields have the achievements been made through our five year plans? (3)
- Significance of the Ganga for Nehru Nehruji had no religious sentiments for the Ganga.
He had been attached to the Ganga ever since his childhood. She reminded him of the snow-covered mountains and valleys where his life and work had been cast. Hence, Nehru is so attached to the Ganga. Significance of the Ganga for India The Ganga is beloved of the Indian people. She is the symbol of India’s age-long culture and civilisation. India’s racial memories, triumphs and victories are intimately related to the Ganga. Hence, the Ganga is the ‘River of India’ in his view.
- We should grow into such citizens that people will want the light of our character and influence everywhere.
- The greater number of good citizens makes a country more enlightened.
(A) The Yaksha was very pleased with Yudhisthira’s
satisfactory answers. His answers proved that he was a man of patience and kindness, and had the knowledge of life. Being impressed with his answers, the Yaksha offered him the revival of one of his brothers’ lives. Yudhishtira showed his love for justice by choosing Nakula. This impressed the Yaksha a lot and he rewarded him by reviving all his brothers.
- Socrates thoughtfulness, his nobility, simple way of living and fearlessness are the most appealing qualities. Also, he was a great leader and philosopher.
- Brahma is the creator of the universe. He has created many majestic and wonderful things like mountain ranges, waterfalls, peacock, flowers etc. He has also added beauty and charm to them.
- Yama, who was the Lord of Death, took the form of the Yaksha because he wanted to see Yudhishthira and test his knowledge and wisdom.
|List A||List B|
- Our purpose of life should be to act and make progress so that we have a better future.
- Destined means ‘pre-decided’ or ‘that is in fate’.
1. The Village Song In the poem, The Village Song’, the poetess ‘Sarojini Naidu’ has described that joys in life are transitory in nature and one should not run after them. In other words, she intends to say that nothing in life is permanent and what is today may not be tomorrow. The poetess also appreciates the beauty of nature in this poem and says that it is much more appealing than the material things in life.
2. The Fountain The poet finds an inspiration of a perfect life in the fountain. It always looks happy and charming. It remains cheerful in all seasons. It cannot be tamed. It is always in motion without tiredness. Besides, the fountain is ever happy, fresh and glorious in the sunlight as well as in the moonlight. The poet wants to be pure, change full and yet steady like the fountain.
Into the sunshine,
Full of the light Leaping and flashing From mom till night!
- Edison needed more money to buy books (to read) and also to carry out his experiments. So, he decided to take up a job in the railways. He earned two dollars on the first day of his job.
- The king of Ujjain wanted to sit on the judgement seat of Vikramaditya hoping that the spirit of Vikramaditya would descend upon him and he would become a just king.
- Jesse Owens was an American Negro and a long-jumper. Luz Long was a German long-jumper. They met for the first time during the Olympic Games in Berlin in 1936.
1. (C)stupid and naughty
2. (B) justice
3. (B) twenty-five
4. (C) his main objective in games was not conquering but fighting well
- One can achieve anything if one has passion for it.
- All the cake was eaten up by the baby.
- The teacher asked the sidelights if they had listened to his words.
- He has forgotten to bring his umbrella.
- When will Sameer leave for Hong Kong?
- I did not understand what he was saying.
- (i) e c s t a s y , (ii) i n f 1 u e n c e
- “From where can I get a taxi?” Suraj asked Vivek.
Children of today (today’s age) do not like to study from books. They prefer reading through computer. But, books are our valuable treasure. We learn good language and good thoughts of good authors from books. These thoughts are helpful in our life too.
106, Sharda Apartments Gauri Nagar
Faridabad 9th June, 20XX
The Manager, ‘
Everest Handloom Company Faridabad
With reference to your advertisement dated 8th June, 20XX, in The Times of India; I wish to apply for the post of a salesman in your esteemed company.
I have passed H.S.S.C. with second division in the year 20XX from SMJ College. I have also done a certificate course in computer. I can speak English and Hindi and interact with the customers nicely.
I would be grateful to you if you find me eligible for the above said post and give me an opportunity.
Refer to text on page 95.
- Refer to text on page 107.
- Refer to text on page 102.
- Refer to text on page 106.
- Harijans are now given the facilities of scholarships, free distribution of books and free ships in schools and hostels,
- Many achievements have been made in the fields of health, medicine, social education, transport and industry.
हमें आशा है, कि यूपी बोर्ड Class 10th English Model Paper 1 आपकी मदद करेंगे। यदि आपको यूपी बोर्ड कक्षा 10 मॉडल पेपर के बारे में कोई प्रश्न है, तो नीचे Comment करके पूँछ सकते है, हमारे टीम आपको उत्तर देगी |